Thursday, October 13, 2011




Mimosa #2:  The Left, The Leaving

The innate
drive to delineate
shade cuts across—
indeed abuts—the basic
fact of the season—
whichever one you’ve chosen.

Of the many things I needed to be told,
that a cemetery is not a
multi-purpose facility
was another.  Face down, I
tried to find the secret life
distilled from underground,
but found my breath too shallow
to get at it.
Impenetrable,
what comes after.

Making a wrong turn,
I passed a playground, the swing set full,
four girls back and forth,
high in the air— their little feet
almost eclipsing the branches—
the trees were basking in it, waving
in the foreground.
 Some things are a flying buttress
for the heart—Chartres, stained windows,  undestroyed
along  the river, the red birds
lifted by the slightest
summer wind.

Mimosa tree, you have left me,
but that was not your doing.
Still, I have your image
extant in that spot in
my mind shaded
by your constant canopy— though now,
scoured clean by fractious autumn light—
I will expect your return much later
in the year—though I can't promise to be here--
a platform, a train—
a figure smeared and framed
against the night.





No comments:

Post a Comment